Maps of us


View Camino! in a larger map

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 4 - Stage 4, Cizur Menor to Uterga

O.K. we´re a day late.  Two days ago we walked from Zubiri to Larrasoanna.  Both very nice towns, Larrasoanna being a very very small, one bar town (note: Bar in Spain is also a diner, coffee spot, all purpose cafe, so don´t be alarmed if I reference it a lot).  We had a nice lunch at the BAR, the only bar in town.  Janet´s feet, legs were really bothering her from the 14 mile walk the day before.  We sent Janet´s pack ahead to Pamplona early in the day in a special "pack taxi".  So even though she was pack-less, she was still hurting.  After lunch Janet and three Austrailian women shared a taxi to Pamplona... along with my pack.  I walked into Pamplona pack-less, to meet her at the Albergue Jesus y Maria, in the center of Old Pamplona.  I walked many miles and finally reached the east entrance to Pamplona... I was so happy to see that sign!!  Then after walking and walking... it turns out Old City Center is on the WEST side of town... for my California friends, that´s like arriving into Del Mar, seeing the San Diego city limit sign, then having to walk to Chula Vista... in Iowa that´s like getting to Joe´s house then having to walk to Mom´s house!!!  I walked an extra 9 miles that day.  It was worth it though as I walked along the rio Arga, along narrow wooded trails, on hill sides, through horse pastures... really beautiful country side.  It had rained earlier in the day so the 9 mile walk was on mud, the entire way.  Finally arrived at Jesus y Maria Albergue... a large building which was part of a 17th century Jesuit church.  It was a large dormitory where 112 of my closest peregrinos and Janet and I shared a large communal bed room.  We felt like we were sleeping in a manger.  You were given a sheet and a pillow and told to find a  bed.  Sleep wasn´t so bad... till 5:30am when most people decided to get up early to head out for the road. 

We hung out in Pamplona for the morning then headed out for Cizur Menor.  Short walk that day, only 3.1 miles.  Ended up at a private Albergue, Maribel Roncal.  Very beautiful little place, two bars, two churches.  Arriving to Maribel Roncal, we met Maribel.  Very nice, cute... looks like an old converted barn.  Maribel takes us to our stall and this time we are lucky... only 8 beds in this one room.  Now we are thinking this is really a manger.  I swear... wait for the pictures.

Pîctures are coming but haven´t been able to upload them yet.  Hopefully in a bigger town with more facilities.

Today we walked from Cizur Menor to Uterga, 9.4 miles.... BUT most of it up hill! 1500 feet elevation gain up through the Alto del Perdon.  Today walking through many rolling fields of wheat and mustard (?), lots of greens and bright yellows.  Very nice day.  Met many nice people again on the road.

Later all... I´m running out of time on the internet meter.  Pictures to come.
Buen Camino

7 comments:

  1. I love this blog, MJ. I am so glad you you are doing it. A taxi for your pack! Now I like that! No sense carrying more than you must, especially when you are tired. I am glad that Janet is taking the taxi when she needs to and that it is available. Keep up the "jaunt" and be sure to rest when you need to. This is not a race!
    Much love to you,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so amazing to read about all this, MJ. I finally have tracked down the towns on the map so I have a sense of following along. Looking forward to seeing the pix - either now, if the internet cooperates, or later. Big Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very proud of both of you. I check on you every day. I say to my self, now thats my girls. Its o.k. to take a taxi. Be good to your selves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MJ, I love reading about your wonderful adventure. I am now officially addicted to the blog. I cannot wait for the next update. I am so proud of you and Janet.
    PS Dewey promised no garage sale...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just noticed you've got the mileage working on the map now and we can follow along. Looking foward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! Haven´t even begun to tell you the gory feet details yet.

    ReplyDelete